Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My boyfriend sold his soul to the BYU accounting program

It is 10pm and I am sitting in study room on the fifth floor of the Harold B Lee Library. You may be asking yourself "why would a BYU graduate, of all people be at the library this late, on the third day of classes?" The short answer is that I have spent the last two days masquerading as a BYU student. It is easy to do since there are so many new students and people adding and dropping classes. I just pack up my pink Jansport backpack and blend right in! Okay so maybe having half the school (yes, I realize I'm being very liberal with that number) recognize you doesn't qualify as blending, but when you have a student ID that doesn't expire till 2012 and your route Y login still works for the free internet, there is a lot to be said about kicking it on campus. I even attended a class with Jen Kironde the other day. I don't think I will be returning, due in large part to the fact that the boy I sat with was all to eager to get to know me and suggest we form a study group. I mean come on, it's only the second day of class and this is a religion class! Oh and I told him first thing that I was already graduated and just visiting. The nerve of some people's children. Better luck next time Tye from Idaho.

But all joking aside, the real reason that I am spending my days, and nights on campus is because my boyfriend has sold his soul to the BYU accounting program. This semester marks the start of his junior core of classes, and I can already tell you, that Junior core is short for "university-approved-ritual-hazing". On the second day of class poor Matthew had already been assigned two projects and about 10 hours of homework, and it hasn’t gotten any better. Since they have a rotating class schedule, he has assignments due every day which means no rest for the weary. He has already, half joking-half serious, told me that I am going to hate him after this semester because he is going to be so busy and so stressed that we are never going to see one another and he is going to be no fun to hang around with. I disagree whole heartedly.

Unlike Matt I have been mentally preparing for this transition all summer long. As one who has spent time working and living in the “real world” I know it can’t always be fun and games. Still to make things easier on him I broke up with him at dinner last night. Now he doesn’t have to worry and stress about our relationship. I have also spent the last two nights in the library with him. I’m hoping in time he will come to understand that just spending time with him, even if I have to share him with his Auditing and Assurance Services book, is all I require, and that making dashes off to Wendy’s and sneaking food back to him in our little study room isn’t a big deal to me. I like it. It makes me feel important and involved. I can’t do his work for him but I am more than willing to try and relieve some of the stress. It’s a whole lot better than being an accounting program widow....I wonder if they have a facebook group for that. I’ll have to look into it. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers